KOTA KINABALU: The Sabah Youth Council (SYC) and its 17 affiliates received grants totaling 2.55 million ringgit from the Sabah government on Sunday (July 4th).
Chief Minister Datuk Seri Hajiji Noor said the funds will enable them to implement youth programs as well as coordinate support activities during the first phase of the national recovery plan.
He said this in a statement released after attending the annual grants presentation by State Youth and Sports Minister Datuk Ellron Alfred Angin at Arena Belia, Kepayan here.
The ceremony took place in parallel with the visit of the Chief Minister to the Youth Center to see the mobilization of the Dapur Belia 4.0 (Youth Kitchen) program, which is a coordinated effort between the government, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and the community to help affected youth.
Coordinated by the Sabah Ministry of Youth and Sports, the SYC Dapur Belia program is now in its fourth round since the first movement control order last year.
Previously, the Council, along with its affiliates as well as selected youth clubs across Sabah, had distributed food baskets and energy packs to frontline people and provided various other aids to those affected by the movement restrictions. .
For Dapur Belia 4.0, they targeted young people linked to the Food Panda delivery service as walkers and cyclists, who will receive 250 food baskets and 70 helmets.
So far, 65% of targeted recipients have been reached.
According to the statement, more than 2,000 people have benefited from the Arena Belia food bank.
On another development, Hajiji praised the joint initiative of the Council, the Ministry of Youth and Sports and the Social Security Organization (Socso) in Sabah to help young people who lost their jobs during the lockdown via the MyFutureJobs portal.
The online portal is a one-stop-shop providing a reference for job seekers, in addition to offering job vacancies and programs ranging from job placement, career counseling, as well as in-depth advice for people in difficulty. and mobility aid.